Friday, June 28, 2013

6-28-2013: Book Review No. 1

       Today I though it would be a good idea to do book/movie reviews for anything I read/watched.  Therefore, although they are technically two books, I shall do a review of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, which I finished recently.  Both of the books were written by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson -- a.k.a. Lewis Carroll -- and follow the adventures of the child Alice in strange and fantastical worlds.  Although they are about the same girl, there is really no connection between the events of the first book and the events of the second.
       I think for these book reviews I shall not dwell to long on the plot (for reasons a) there was not really a plot for the first book, and b) Spoilers), but I shall give a brief, non-spoiling summary.  Alice in Wonderland is about when Alice follows the White Rabbit down a hole and has a bunch of weird adventures.  As I mentioned above, there is really no plot other than "Ohh, what's over here?"  It was alright and neat, but it seemed to me boring and not that interesting or funny, but I could see a child enjoying it.
       Through the Looking Glass was, in my opinion, better.  It has Alice enter a strange world -- never was it implied to be the same one from the other book -- and have more strange adventures.  It actually had a discernible plot, as this world is a sort of chessboard, and Alice is trying to cross it.  I found it the funnier and more enjoyable of the two.
       As a final assessment, I put Alice and Through at #53 & #47 of my "Top 100 Fictional Literature Works of All Time (Read Since 10-1-2008)" List. Now I am reading Michael Strogoff, by Jules Verne, and I shall review that when I finish.

Random Fact: On August 12th, 2007, the home of the historic Mary Sawyer was burned by an arsonist. She is the person that the rhyme "Mary had a Little Lamb" is based on.

Disclaimer:  The above is the opinion of a single Wal-Mart Associate, and not the opinions of the company as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment